SS RATNAM – YOUNG GYNECOLOGIST AWARD AND THE AOFOG 2019 FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
For those YGA who are interested to attend the Fellowship Program, please review the following documents:
• Fact Sheet
• International Leadership Training Program in Maternal Health
• Registration Form – under construction
ASIA AND OCEANIA FEDERATION OF OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY (AOFOG)
S.S. RATNAM – YOUNG GYNECOLOGIST AWARD (SSR – YGA 2019)
Philippine Obstetrical and Gynecological Society (POGS)
2019 International Leadership Training Program in Maternal Health
November 4-10, 2019
OBJECTIVE OF THE AWARD
The SSR – YGA enables promising young Obstetricians and Gynecologists from all the member countries of the Asia and Oceania Federation of Obstetrics and Gynecology (AOFOG) to attend the Asia and Oceania Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology (AOCOG) which are usually held biennially.
The participation of Young Gynecologists:
1. provides them an opportunity to update their knowledge and skills in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
2. promotes social interaction between them, their peers and other delegates
3. provides an insight into the functioning of the Federation by encouraging attendance at the General Assembly session
All these help to prepare them to become the future leaders of their National Societies (NS) of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and hence of the Federation. The criteria of selection provided to the NS reflects this hope.
For SSR – YGA 2019, the host national society (Philippine Obstetrical and Gynecological Society or POGS) is offering the awardees a one-week International Leadership Training Program in Maternal Health prior to the congress proper (November 4-10, 2019).
HISTORY OF THE AWARD
It was instituted in 1991 during the presidency of Professor Masahiko Mizuno through the support of the Japan Society of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and subsequently supported by donor agencies and member societies on a voluntary basis. Ten years later in 2001, it was renamed the SS Ratnam – Young Gynaecologists Award in memory of Emeritus Professor S. S. Ratnam, who was the President Elect of the AOFOG at the time of his demise and who had been its Secretary General for 21 years.
SSR – YGA 2019
A total of 28 (one for each of the 28 member national societies) awardees shall be selected as SSR – YGA 2019. AOFOG shall provide the recipients of SSR – YGA 2019 with free roundtrip economy airfare to and from Manila, free registration for AOCOG 2019 and allowance for board and lodging during the congress proper on November 11-16, 2019. The awardee is given free registration for
AOCOG 2021 but he/she must now pay for his/her airfare and accommodations.
The Philippine Obstetrical and Gynecological Society (POGS) shall provide free board and lodging and free land transportation to all YGAs for the entire duration of the International Leadership Training Program in Maternal Health on November 4-10, 2019.
All awardees must be in Manila, Philippines on November 3, 2019 (Sunday) since the leadership training program starts the next day. The free board and lodging shall commence on November 3, 2019 and end on November 10, 2019.
A Certificate of Completion shall be given to the SSR – YGA 2019 after successfully completing the one-week program and comprehensive evaluation.
YGA SELECTION GUIDELINES
- All initial communications regarding YGAs will come from the Secretariat. The National Societies (NS) will be asked for nominations which should be submitted at least 6 months prior to the Congress date.
- The NS is required to submit at least 3 candidates for consideration together with their Curriculum Vitae and full papers.
- Upon receipt of all the nominations and full papers, the Secretariat will transmit them to the committee (chaired by the President-Elect).
- The final list of the YGAs shall be given to the host society three (3) months prior to the Congress date.
- All YGAs are required to present their original papers in AOCOG 2019. The 10 best selected papers will be presented at a plenary session in the congress whereas other submitted papers will be presented as free communication.
- The NS is also required to inform the Secretariat on the cheapest round trip airfare to the Congress venue to facilitate preparation of the Federation’s budget for reimbursement.
- The reimbursement of the air fare and allowance for board and lodging to each of the YGA will be scheduled within the first two (2) days of the Congress.
- The YGAs will be required to present the Official Receipt, the ticket and other pertinent receipts (airport taxes, etc.) for reimbursement.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE YOUNG GYNECOLOGIST AWARD (YGA)
All nominations are to be made by the NS, then submitted to the AOFOG Secretariat and finally approved by the Executive Board.
To qualify, the Young Gynaecologist must:
- be under 40 years of age
- have made a significant contribution to his National Society
- demonstrate leadership qualities
INTERNATIONAL LEADERSHIP TRAINING PROGRAM IN MATERNAL HEALTH
NOVEMBER 04, 2019
Module 1: Leadership in Maternal Health
- Developing Champions for Maternal Health (Leadership Skills)
- Building Winning Teams for Maternal Health (Organizational Management)
- Managing Conflicts and Change in Organizations
NOVEMBER 05, 2019
Module 2: Maternal Health in Asia and Oceania
- Situation in the Philippines
- Situation in Asia and Oceania
- Creating a Shared Vision for Maternal Health
NOVEMBER 06, 2019
Module 3: Best Practices for Leaders in Maternal Health
- Best Practices in Maternal Health from Low-Resource Countries
a. Kangaroo Mother Care
b. Essential Intrapartum Newborn Care
- Best Practices in Maternal Health from High-Resource Countries
- Bridging the Gap in Maternal Health
NOVEMBER 07-08, 2019
Module 4: Maternal Health Promotion and Education
- Promoting Maternal Health in the General Population
a. POGS Community Service
b. Adolescent Health Issues and Perspectives
- Strengthening Maternal Health in Educational Systems
- Innovations in Maternal Health Promotion and Education
NOVEMBER 09, 2019
NOVEMBER 10, 2019
R & R